- Slice some juicy tomatoes in half, a couple of garlic cloves and red onion
- Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with basil, salt and pepper
- Put in a high oven for 10 minutes and then turn the oven off and leave overnight.
You won't believe how amazing these taste in the morning, they develop a really intense flavour and a sweetness you don't get from normal roasting.
The next day...
- Fry pieces of aubergine and red pepper in olive oil in a heavy based pan for a few minutes.
- Throw in a pint of veg or chicken stock and simmer away.
- When tender, add the tomatoes and blitz, but not to oblivion, just so half of it is smooth.
You can use this now as a pasta sauce, the aubergine makes it really silky, or you can use for the meatballs...
- Fry some onion and garlic in a pan until soft, then add cumin, S&P and a little harissa.
- When cooled a little, add an egg, mix and then add the minced lamb with your fingertips and form into little balls.
- Fry until golden and then add to the sauce.