Saturday 5 February 2011

Lemon Posset

This is a dessert for those of you who.. 
are afraid of baking
want to make something special for their valentine
want to make a quick dessert ahead of time

I am the latter. I am taking two lovely little girls to China Town all day tomorrow and then having some grown up ones over for dinner. Im cooking curry and want something small, light and sweet to finish off the meal that I can make today. This is so easy and one of my favourite desserts of all time. 
1. Pour 1 pint of double cream into a pan and bring to a gentle simmer.
2. Meanwhile, zest and squeeze two lemons and measure 150g of caster sugar.
3. Add the sugar to the cream and stir until dissolved and let the cream thicken simmering/gentle boil for a few minutes.
4. Whisk in the juice and zest of the lemons.
 5. Pour into a jug and stand in a bowl of icy water to cool down. Some recipes say pour straight into glasses here but I like to cool it down first, I think it makes a silkier texture and doesn't develop that skin on the top. Do stir it every minute or so.
 6. Pour into glasses or small bowls and cover with film and set in the fridge for at least an hour. I may put blackberries on the top of these, I just haven't made my mind up on that one yet.I filled 10 of these glasses but they are dinky so let's say this recipe serves 6 ;)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

That looks like such a lovely dessert to serve and so elegant in those crystal cups. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog right now called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your delicious posset up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com

Emily said...

This is such a beautiful post - makes me feel a little bit Summery in the midst of February xxx