Tuesday 22 February 2011

Empanadillas

I´m trying out new things for our menus in Spain. I love Empanadas and got hooked in Argentina. The pre-made pastry you get out here is really great and it´s fun experimenting with fillings. 
I fancied trying beef this time and got thinking about these Australian Pies that my friend Dan once gave me the recipe for. The filling is rich and juicy with a kick. I actually didn´t have the recipe on me but what I could recall made a pretty tasty filling! I got a little bored of the small ones where you fold the pastry over so made some circular ones too, not sure how authentic that was, but they were still cute. 



200g minced beef
2 carrots diced small
1 finely chopped onion
3 garlic cloves finely chopped
1/2 jar of red peppers
400g passata
4 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp of marmite/vegemite
1 tbsp worcestor sauce

Fry the beef and once browned put to one side. In the same pan saute the onion, garlic and carrots for 10 minutes. Now add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for at least one hour, the longer the better. Cool and fill the pastry and seal with egg wash. You need to brush the whole thing with egg wash too to make it golden and shiny.
Pop in the oven at 190C for 10-12 minutes or so.  

No comments: