Wednesday 9 February 2011

Chocolate and ginger cookies

I spent most the day yesterday writing menus for various brunches, summer barbecues, Birthday parties coming up. I then jogged to Fulham to clear my head (it was a lovely day yesterday and felt like the first day of Spring) and then came home hungry. This is what happens when I exercise. I sometimes wonder if it's worth the energy when it comes to the post-jog binge. 
Looked in the fridge and saw many a jar but not much fresh food. There was this one jar full of Chinese stem ginger in syrup. It's been in there a year and I've not used it so......here comes my made up on the spot recipe for Chocolate and Ginger cookies with measurements dictated by what I had in the kitchen but none the less came out delicious and chewy - phew.
160g dark chocolate
80g milk chocolate 
60 butter unsalted
-Melt the above in a plastic bowl in the microwave for 50 seconds, stir and then melt at 10 seconds at a time until smooth and silky.

In a seperate bowl with an electric whisk, whisk until pale and light...
2 eggs
30ml of the ginger syrup out the jar
120g caster sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract/paste


Add the chocolate mix into the eggs and sugar mix and then stir in the below, sifted.
150g self raising flour
small pinch of salt
1 flat tbsp of cocoa powder

Dollop the mix onto baking sheet and leave an 3 inches between cookies to spread out. Sprinkle some choc chips and chopped stem ginger in syrup on each cookie. 
Cook on 180C for 9-10mins. They may look soft but take out the first batch, cool for 3 mins on the tray then put on a wire rack, its a this stage you get "the chew". Adjust the next batch accordingly, I made 12 cookies out of this mix.



No comments: