Tuesday, 22 January 2013

Vegan Cashew and Berry Cake

I noticed this blog needed a splash of colour... ta daaa! So above you have the wrinkly impression of tin foil in what looks like a cheesecake. Below you see where I thought I might just smooth things out, I actually quite like the wrinkled effect, it's got character!
I promise this will be the last vegan post for a while, I know I have been a bit carried away of late. The science behind cooking and baking really does fascinate me so the idea of soaking cashew nuts overnight in water and then blitzing them up in the morning to make cashew cream just astounds me, it really does.
Again, this little cake got mixed reviews at dinner the other night. I'll let you know that it reminded one friend of her berry and coconut shower gel. Hmm, so not to everyone's taste. I, for one (or one of 3) really enjoyed it. I love dates and nuts and berries, so what's not to like?
I think you have to be very open minded when tasting food like this, welcome the new flavour combinations you haven't experienced before. The unprocessed, natural and clean flavours, the very fact it is raw, everything that is good for you, still good for you in it's natural, unaltered state.
I presented this as a 'Vegan Berry Cheesecake' which one friend said was a mistake. You say cheesecake and automatically something in your brain pings and your taste buds awaken, and everyone is expecting cheesecake... and it isn't cheesecake.
The next day I gave a slice to another friend and called it simply a vegan dessert. She loved it. 
The recipe is from the most fabulous blog called My New Roots See here
Sarah explains the health bit behind her recipe, I can only tell you that I will be making this again. 
The only alteration I made was adding a blueberry layer.
I have played tour guide today to a Uni friend visiting London. We have been to Buckingham Palace, walked up the glistening snowy blanketed Mall to Trafalgar; wandered around the Taylor Wessing Portrait Awards at the National Portrait Gallery (a must see); dined in China town; had cream tea in Sketch; popped by all the must see shops/sites before slumping into our chairs at the theatre to see Wicked. I'm zonked and there's so much more to come tomorrow!

12 comments:

thelittleloaf said...

I'm definitely still a bit dubious about the whole vegan thing but this looks amazing! The colours are absolutely stunning and I love the sound of the date base.

ps I saw a recipe for cashew labneh on The First Mess blog which looks amazing - may have to try!

Colly said...

I love the layers in this - a guilt free treat!

The Dame Intl said...

I might try and make this for my birthday in a couple weeks :)

Milli said...

thelittleloaf- got to love a splash of colour! Thanks for the labneh link, I will try it tomorrow as am soaking cashews tonight for a veggie canape job tomo.
colly-I suppose there is something enjoyable about munching away guilt free, another slice please!
The dame intl-I'm all into making my own birthday cake, just how I like it ;)

Mrs Deer said...

Oh! Your cake is so cute! Bravo!

Milli said...

Thank you Mrs Deer. I am so glad you commented as I have just been on your super cool blog. I wish I could speak French to understand more of it!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever considered about including a little bit more than just your articles?
I mean, what you say is important and all. But imagine
if you added some great graphics or videos to give your posts more, "pop"!

Your content is excellent but with pics and video clips, this
site could certainly be one of the very best in its niche.
Excellent blog!

Feel free to visit my page - linked here

Anonymous said...

Nice answers in return of this issue with genuine arguments
and explaining all on the topic of that.

Here is my blog post: home

oakleyses said...

hollister uk, nike air max, converse pas cher, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, polo lacoste, nike air max uk, hollister pas cher, true religion outlet, north face, replica handbags, burberry handbags, coach outlet store online, north face uk, nike blazer pas cher, true religion jeans, lululemon canada, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, oakley pas cher, michael kors, ralph lauren uk, michael kors outlet, mulberry uk, nike free uk, vans pas cher, kate spade, abercrombie and fitch uk, ray ban uk, nike tn, uggs outlet, nike roshe run uk, nike air force, coach purses, michael kors outlet online, uggs outlet, ray ban pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, nike air max uk, new balance, guess pas cher, timberland pas cher, true religion outlet, sac hermes, burberry outlet, hogan outlet

oakleyses said...

ghd hair, abercrombie and fitch, p90x workout, beats by dre, asics running shoes, baseball bats, wedding dresses, nike trainers uk, soccer jerseys, timberland boots, louboutin, giuseppe zanotti outlet, instyler, ferragamo shoes, iphone 6s plus cases, insanity workout, bottega veneta, north face outlet, celine handbags, valentino shoes, mcm handbags, north face outlet, iphone 6 plus cases, nike roshe run, chi flat iron, vans outlet, lululemon, nike huaraches, oakley, herve leger, nfl jerseys, hollister clothing, iphone 5s cases, hollister, s6 case, nike air max, new balance shoes, jimmy choo outlet, ralph lauren, iphone 6s cases, ipad cases, longchamp uk, mac cosmetics, iphone cases, hermes belt, babyliss, mont blanc pens, iphone 6 cases, reebok outlet, soccer shoes

oakleyses said...

louis vuitton, converse outlet, lancel, moncler, barbour uk, thomas sabo, canada goose outlet, replica watches, moncler outlet, ugg uk, louis vuitton, karen millen uk, swarovski crystal, pandora jewelry, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, canada goose, barbour, hollister, canada goose uk, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, nike air max, moncler, pandora uk, ugg pas cher, canada goose jackets, ugg, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, coach outlet, moncler, moncler, toms shoes, juicy couture outlet, canada goose outlet, canada goose, ray ban, marc jacobs, supra shoes, doudoune moncler, moncler outlet, montre pas cher, moncler uk, converse, links of london, hollister, vans, pandora jewelry, wedding dresses, gucci, canada goose, swarovski

dong dong23 said...

adidas originals
ray ban sunglasses
louis vuitton outlet
adidas shoes
jordan shoes
jordan 4 toro
longchamp bags
hollister clothing store
michael kors uk
michael kors canada
kate spade outlet
coach outlet
toms shoes
louis vuitton outlet
tory burch outlet
louis vuitton bags
pandora jewelry
adidas outlet store
gucci
timberland boots
ray ban outlet
oakley sunglasses wholesale
coach outlet
michael kors handbags
ray ban
replica watches
hollister outlet
cheap oakley sunglasses
gucci outlet
coach outlet
rolex submariner
hollister clothing
kobe 11
louis vuitton
jordans for sale
christian louboutin outlet
louis vuitton outlet
ray ban sunglasses discount
coach factory outlet
20165.24wengdongdong