Tuesday 1 January 2013

Raw Cauliflower, Spicy Peanut Salad

 
Having eaten a lot of meat this Christmas I'm making a conscious effort to star some veggies in my upcoming meals. In a big cheesy, creamy, bubbly cauliflower cheese, the veg has a loyal following from us Brits, but other than being sidelined to a lowly accompaniment to your roast it doesn't seem to get much love. I prefer it raw. It has a nutty taste and the crunch is perfect in salads if chopped up like rice and I'd love you to try it even if you don't like cooked cauliflower. 
I know this is pointing out the obvious, but keeping your meals 'raw' saves quite a bit of time and money and feels so great for a healthy start to the new year. I'd be lying if I said I made this today. No, today has been a whirl of Bloody Marys, Baked Camembert, Fish & Chips and banana and peanut butter on toast, desperately seeking that something to cure my hangover. I've never thought it wise to start resolutions on the 1st of the month. Let's stick with tomorrow as our starting block.
I played around with some Thai inspiration for my salad

2 heads of cauliflower, chopped
Mix the below and stir in (couldn't be easier)
2 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
3-4 large, juicy limes
3 tbsp chopped coriander
1/2 red chilli chopped
1 stick celery finely diced (optional)
A few shakes or more of chilli sesame oil 
A few drops of fish sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 bunch of spring onions sliced

 
I hope you celebrated in style and/or comfort last night. I had a fab night dancing my feet off without a care in the world. I couldn't look at another Champagne bottle today so excuse me as I raise my smoothie..

Here's to a Happy and Healthy New Year to you and yours! Love Milli XXX 

2 comments:

good times tora said...

well that sounds yummy. I managed to lose 10lbs before Christmas, by eating lots of soup for dinner, so I was thinking of doing the same again (put on 4lbs over xmas, which considering how much cheese I stuffed in my face, is really quite an acomplishment!)...but, I know it will get boring. However, this looks lovely! More recipes like this one pleeeeeeeease!

Hope you had a super duper Christmas and an amazing new year. Thanks again for the treats- it brought a massive big smile to my face! x x

Milli said...

Well done you!I had soup for lunch yesterday and was pleased as punch, I then when out for a 3 course meal last night and couldn't sleep because I was so full. Durrr.
I'll blog a tofu dessert today,that you would think was lemon posset or mousse, its amaze. Happy New Year lovely x