Friday 6 January 2012

Beef Tataki

I went to Reiko's last night for dinner and dun dun durrr she didn't cook Japanese! She made roast lamb with kosheri, stuffed mushrooms and ratatouille and it was yummy. She did make green tea icecream and aduki bean icecream though,so we all got our Japanese fix.
I had my friend Jo over for lunch the previous day and cooked Japanese, some things from Reiko's book and some just made up. She really liked the Beef Tataki I did for starter, so here is the recipe from me to Jo via Reiko! I left out a step in the recipe of dipping the hot beef into soy and mirin as I didn't have much time on my hands.

Serves 4
1 large onion thinly sliced
440ml cold water mixed with 2tbsp salt
4 garlic cloves, VERY thinly sliced
5tbsp veg oil
400g beef fillet
100ml soy sauce
100ml mirin
6-8tbsp tahini paste
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp caster sugar
Put the onions in a bowl and leave for  15 mins, then rinse and drain by squeezing out the water.
Make the garlic chips by bringing a small pan of oil to medium heat and gently fry the garlic until golden, not brown!
Sear the beef on all sides to seal in the juices and continue to cook for 5 minutes (or more if you don't like it too rare)
Mix the soy, mirin, tahini, vinegar and sugar for the marinade.
Cut the beef into 5-7mm thick slices and place on top of mounds of onions, top with the sauce and garlic chips, I added a little spring onion as my plate wasn't very colourful. 







No comments: