Tuesday 13 August 2013

Speedy doughnuts

 I had a real craving for dougnuts. It was one of those that came on all of a sudden and was nagging me something silly. I googled 'quick doughnuts' and there it was, a total du-darrr moment. Dan Lepard comes to the rescue again with these creme fraiche beauties, link here. I followed the recipe exactly, and they were lip smackingly delicious. The only change I made was with the sugar, I just love that caster sugar kiss when your lips hit a doughnut, reminds me of the games you would play as a child where you weren't allowed to lick your lips!

I leave you with one of my favourite Oscar Wilde quotes
“Between the optimist and the pessimist, the difference is droll. The optimist sees the doughnut; the pessimist the hole!”

Well, I must be somewhere in the middle, because I saw the holes and fried those too.. and then skewered them and drizzled salted caramel all over. Oh yeaaaaah!




7 comments:

Emily said...

LOVE the idea of the using the holes. also love the "caster sugar kiss". also really want a doughnut now.

the said...

You make the best food. Ever. Can I come round for doughnuts please?

thelittleloaf said...

You make the best food. Ever. Can I come round for doughnuts please?

sophie // the cake hunter said...

I need these right now! I LOVE sugary doughnuts but I like speedy recipes even more. Yum!

good times tora said...

making some Homer Simpson drooling noises over here...salted caramel doughnut holes sounds too much...just too much...in a good way, of course :)

Poires au Chocolat said...

....yum. I haven't had doughnuts in ages and I've been thinking about them a lot recently. Going to have to make some ASAP. Thanks for the link to the recipe!

Milli said...

Emily - the holes were ever so easy to 'pop' into your mouth
Thelittleloaf- I have no will power once I have a craving!
Thecakehunter - do you know a shortcut for cinnamon buns? I would be all over that!
Goodtimestora - A couple I bagged up for friends didn't make it out the door.
Emma- my only tip would be to cook them a little longer than when you think they are ready to come out. They do need to go quite dark to be cooked through.