Wednesday 5 December 2012

Miso Petit Fours

I really love miso. There are so many varieties, lending themselves to so many different dishes. My friend Reiko bought me back white shiromiso (sweet and mild) from Kyoto and I had an urge to bake with it. I thought it would make sense, what with salted caramel being such a hit and I also love miso with butter, on potatoes with soy or just miso and butter on sweet carrots. I needed a buttery, light cake.
Canelés date back to the 18th Century and you'll find them all over Paris in every Boulangerie. They are baked in copper moulds with a crisp crust but a chewy, softer middle. I think they are so pretty but they're not my favourite. I do however, love the shape and bought a silicone mould. I have a cupboard devoted to silicone.. it's one of those addictions that slowly creep up on you. They go hand in hand with non stick spray, this stuff is genius and make all your cakes pop out easy. 
My cakes shrunk a little in the moulds which was perfect as it meant I could pour over a vanilla bean and miso syrup. This is why I love experimenting. Once cooled slightly, I popped them out and spooned a little more syrup into that inviting dip at the top. These were so lovely, I will definitely be making them in the future for canape events or for petit four at dinner parties.
I appreciate not everyone will have this mould but you could make them in anything, mini muffin moulds, madeleines or even mini cupcake cases. 

cake-
35g shiromiso
2 eggs
100g SR flour
100g unsalted butter
100g caster sugar
3 tbsp cream

syrup-
1/3 cup of water
1/3 cup of caster sugar
vanilla beans scraped from a pod
1 tsp shiromiso
1 tbsp whisky (optional)

Beat all indredients together, spoon into greased moulds and bake for 12 minutes or until domed and golden at 180C
Make the syrup by simmering together all ingredients for a few minutes and spoon onto warm cakes. 

1 comment:

pure cotton razai said...

I really love miso. There are so many varieties, lending themselves to so many different dishes. My friend Reiko bought me back white shiromiso (sweet and mild) from Kyoto and I had an urge to bake with it.
stitching factory in karachi ,
cmt stitching in lahore ,