Thursday 12 January 2012

Quinoa tortilla

I think going into January on a detox is a bad idea. Going things cold turkey and all that just seems silly. If you are anything like me your clothes are feeling a little tight and starving yourself just after a month of gorging yourself will be hell. So I am going on a health kick. Like a small tap of the foot, not a kick in the ribs.  I've started with something I make a lot. Tortilla. But instead of using yummy waxy potatoes that I simmer in oil for the best tasting tortilla, I've swapped it for Quinoa. I've banged on about the health benefits of Quinoa before, I promise this is no compromise, it's delicious and I've made it twice this week. If feeling lazy I buy the red and white quinoa which is precooked in a vacpack from M&S.

1 very large onion
60g of feta cheese
2tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic
6 eggs
150g cooked quinoa

Fry off the onions until they are browned and caramelised then add the garlic on a low heat for 2 minutes. 
Crumble the feta over the onions and season with chilli salt and pepper
Whisk eggs and mix with cooked quinoa. Pour mix in the pan and slowly bring the cooked sides in to allow the raw egg to take its place. Turn the heat down for 3 minutes. 
Using a plate, placed upside down on the tortilla, flip quickly and slide back into the pan. Turn the heat off and leave the tortilla to slowly cook through in the residual heat. I like it when it is slightly gooey in the middle. 


No comments: