Tuesday 27 July 2010

Friands

I've now added Friands (easier to say than Financiers) to my afternoon tea menu. I've never been that keen on them to be honest until I had one at Gails in the Northcote Road and I was amazed at how moist they can be. I think I've got the recipe down now so will share with you as you must make and they last a few days.

I make raspberry and white chocolate and also blueberry and orange zest, I top them with flaked almonds but you don't need to. 


The first thing to do is brown the butter, this takes about 5 mins. You need to leave it alone and not stir, let the solids come to surface, then let it bubble and then let it foam a little until you can see it's brown underneath. This makes the butter richer and nutty. The last pic in this foursome is of the whole mix so don't let that confuse you!


Sift 70g of ground almonds with 160g of icing sugar. Mix in another bowl 70g of plain flour sifted with a teaspoon of baking powder. Mix with the icing sugar and almonds. 
Now pour in your butter and mix a little with a knife. 
Now add the yolks of 4 large eggs slightly whisked and 10g of runny honey.
Pop mix 3/4 of the way into sprayed moulds (pic of moulds I use below)and top with berries and almonds. 
220C for 10 minutes. Cool on rack and once cooled, dust with icing sugar. Voila. 



No comments: